Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wallace "Stingey"fellow

The character that brings me the most angst in Tom Franklin's 2010 novel Crooked Letter, Crooked letter: Wallace Stringfellow, a grimy, drug addicted alcoholic does so due to his twisted morals and psychotic reasoning, despite befriending Larry. For example, after getting intoxicated and high, regular activities for him, he mentions how girls "like it, getting raped" (179). The disturbing tone, brought about by the insanity of the claim that girls enjoy such atrocity indirectly characterizes Wallace as lopsychotic and twisted. Therefore, I have developed an almost hatred for this character and his malicious persona. I cannot have enough sympathy for poor old Larry Ott so when Wallaces dialogue finally hit me I began to come to another more sinister conclusion about the malacious Wallace Stringfellow.I am beginning to think that Wallace killed Tina Rutherford making me detest him even more, letting the town blame Larry eventually leading to his shooting. As far as I am concerned that stands as just about the most dastardly thing that pothead could possilbly do. Likewise, when discussing his fantasies Wallace describes hoe he would "throw them on the floor" and "Gag em" (179). The casualness with which wallace describes his theoretical actions furthers the assertion that Wallace is a maniac, consequently leading me to develop a fierce aversion towards him. Further adding a tinge of mental instability to his already malicious persona. I have a resentment unlike any other character in the book towards Wallace and his killer-like mentality. In order to say such atrocious alarmed chunk of his brain must have up and left thanks to his love for drugs and alcohol. They say hugs not drugs for a reason but I would never want a hug from this creep.

No comments:

Post a Comment